SECTION 6: Adult General Education
Section 6 contains the Adult Education courses for adults and non-adults. The following programs and courses in Section 6 are unique to Adult General Education and are therefore not included in Section 3. Descriptions of these courses are as follows:
- Adult Basic Education (ABE): This program and courses are designed for the student to increase basic literacy skills in mathematics, reading and language at the grade level equivalency of 0-8.9 to improve employability in the state’s workforce, and transition to higher levels of educational attainment and postsecondary training.
Adult Secondary Education: This term is used to describe programs and courses designed for the student to receive high school credit that leads to the award of a high school diploma or courses of instruction through which a student prepares to take the High School Equivalency Test. Titles and descriptions are provided in a, b, and c below.
Adult High School: These courses are designed for the student to obtain credits upon completion of courses and passing of state mandated assessments necessary to qualify for a high school diploma. Except as provided elsewhere in law, the graduation standards for adults shall be the same as those for secondary students.
Instruction is offered in general education subjects. This offering is designed to accommodate the needs of students instructed in more than one high school subject area who have withdrawn from the regular K-12 school system. Students will meet the performance standards of each individual subject taken in this course. The student will attain a level of educational accomplishment that meets his or her educational goal of successfully obtaining an adult high school diploma. The programs shall provide the opportunity for adults and include planning and adjusting of courses to meet individual and small group needs, continuing educational counseling and granting of credit on the basis of actual attainment through self-paced, individualized competency-based instruction.
- Adult High School-Co-Enrolled: This program is designed for students currently enrolled in a K-12 program who enroll in an Adult High School course(s) under special circumstances to earn credits needed for high school graduation. Students are limited to two core curricula courses per year which are required for high school graduation. The course list is available at http://www.fldoe.org/workforce/dwdframe/ad_frame.asp.
GED®: These courses are designed to prepare adults at a 9.0 grade level or above to successfully pass the complete battery of the GED® subject area tests. After successfully passing all four subtests, the student earns a state of Florida high school diploma. GED® preparation courses are offered in each of the four subtest subjects: (1) Reasoning through Language Arts (2) Social Studies (3) Science, and (4) Mathematical Reasoning
Note: GED® Testing Requirement - The following requirement shall govern eligibility of candidates who are not 18 years of age at the time of examination: According to rules of the local school board, persons who are at least 16 years of age may be permitted to take the tests under extraordinary circumstances, Section 1003.435(4), F.S.
- Adult High School: These courses are designed for the student to obtain credits upon completion of courses and passing of state mandated assessments necessary to qualify for a high school diploma. Except as provided elsewhere in law, the graduation standards for adults shall be the same as those for secondary students.
- Adult English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)/Adult English as a Second Language (ESL): This non-credit instructional program/course is designed to provide adult English language learners with the knowledge and skills needed to communicate effectively in English and improve their ability to enter the state's workforce and/or postsecondary education. The terms ESOL and ESL are interchangeable.
- Citizenship: This program is designed to prepare students for success in the Naturalization process required for all who have United States Citizenship as a goal. The content includes preparation for the Citizenship Test, by studying U.S. History, government, culture and symbols with specific emphasis on rights and responsibilities under the Constitution of the United States of America.
- Academic Skills for Adult ESOL Learners: This program/course is designed as a bridge course between the Adult ESOL course and postsecondary education programs.
- Literacy Skills for Adult ESOL Learners: This program/course is for persons who wish to learn to communicate in English, and who are in the beginning stages of learning to read and write for the first time in any language.
- English Literacy for Career and Technical Education (ELCATE): This program/course is designed as a bridge course between the Low-Intermediate level of the Adult ESOL and the first level of Career and Technical educational courses.
- Adults with Disabilities: This program is designed to provide specialized adult general education for students with disabilities who need intensive, ongoing support. Instruction in literacy, work-related behaviors, and daily living skills are provided that will enable the student to participate in home and community activities and reach desired personal goals including work.
- Applied Academics for Adult Education: This program is designed for the student who may or may not have a high school diploma, is at a 9.0 or above grade level, and is in need of academic skills necessary to pursue postsecondary education or training, or continued employment.
18 record(s) found
|Course#||Subject||Sub-Subject||Title||Abbreviated Title||Course Length||Course Level||Graduation Requirement||Grade Levels||Certification||Course Attributes||Equivalent Courses|
|9900000||Adult Education||Adult Basic Education (990000)||Adult Basic Education||ABE||Not Applicable||30, 31|
|9900001||Adult Education||Adult Basic Education (990000)||Adult Basic Education Mathematics||ABE MATH||Not Applicable||30, 31|
|9900002||Adult Education||Adult Basic Education (990000)||Adult Basic Education Reading||ABE READING||Not Applicable||30, 31|
|9900003||Adult Education||Adult Basic Education (990000)||Adult Basic Education Language||ABE LANGUAGE||Not Applicable|
|9900040||Adult Education||Adult English for Speakers of Other Languages||Adult English for Speakers of Other Languages||ADULT ESOL||2700 hours maximum recommended|
|9900050||Adult Education||Adult English for Speakers of Other Languages||English Literacy for Career and Technical Education (ELCATE)||ENG LIT FOR C&T ED||Not Applicable|
|9900051||Adult Education||Adult English for Speakers of Other Languages||Adult ESOL-College & Career Ready||ADULT ESOL CCR||Not Applicable|
|9900300||Adult Education||Adult English for Speakers of Other Languages||Literacy Skills for Adult ESOL||LIT SKLS Adult ESOL|
|9900010||Adult Education||Adult High School||Adult High School||Adult High School||Not Applicable|
|9900099||Adult Education||Adult High School||Adult HS (Co-Enroll)||Adult High School (Co-Enrolled)||Semester (S)|
|S990001||Adult Education||Applied Academics for Adult Education (AAAE)||Applied Academics For Adult Education||AAAE||Not Applicable|
|S990041||Adult Education||Applied Academics for Adult Education (AAAE)||Applied Academics for Adult Education - Comprehensive||AAAE-COMPREHENSIVE||Not Applicable||30, 31|
|9900131||Adult Education||General Educational Development Preparation (9900130)||Ged Preparation Reason through Language Arts||GED PREP RLA||Not Applicable|
|9900132||Adult Education||General Educational Development Preparation (9900130)||Ged Preparation Social Studies||GED PREP SOCIAL STDY||Not Applicable|
|9900133||Adult Education||General Educational Development Preparation (9900130)||Ged Preparation Science||GED PREP SCIENCE||Not Applicable|
|9900134||Adult Education||General Educational Development Preparation (9900130)||Ged Preparation Mathematics Reasoning||GED PREP MATH REASNG||Not Applicable|
|9900135||Adult Education||General Educational Development Preparation (9900130)||Ged Preparation Comprehensive||GED PREP COMP||Not Applicable|
|9900136||Adult Education||General Educational Development Preparation (9900130)||GED-Integrated Comprehensive||GED-I COMP||Not Applicable||30, 31|