This course should be taught using the appropriate standards/benchmarks for the grade.
The purpose of this course is to enable students to develop basic skills in computer science.
Within appropriate developmental guidelines the content of this course should expose students to:
- Responsible use of technology and information
- The impact of computing resources on local and global society
- Security, privacy, information sharing, ownership, licensure and copyright
- Communication and collaboration
- Modeling and simulations
- Problem solving and algorithms
- Digital tools
- Hardware and software
- Human-Computer interactions and Artificial Intelligence
- Data Analysis
- Computer programming basics
- Programming applications
Science and Engineering Practices (NRC Framework for K-12 Science Education, 2010)
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering).
- Developing and using models.
- Planning and carrying out investigations.
- Analyzing and interpreting data.
- Using mathematics, information and computer technology, and computational thinking.
- Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering).
- Engaging in argument from evidence.
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information.
English Language Development (ELD) Standards Special Notes Section:
Teachers are required to provide listening, speaking, reading and writing instruction that allows English language learners (ELL) to communicate for social and instructional purposes within the school setting. For the given level of English language proficiency and with visual, graphic, or interactive support, students will interact with grade level words, expressions, sentences and discourse to process or produce language necessary for academic success. The ELD standard should specify a relevant content area concept or topic of study chosen by curriculum developers and teachers which maximizes an ELL’s need for communication and social skills. To access an ELL supporting document which delineates performance definitions and descriptors, please click on the following link: https://cpalmsmediaprod.blob.core.windows.net/uploads/docs/standards/eld/si.pdf.
As well as the certification requirements listed on the course description, the following qualifications may also be acceptable for the course:
Any field when certification reflects a bachelor or higher degree.