Use context (e.g., the overall meaning of a sentence, paragraph, or text; a word’s position in a sentence) as a clue to determine the meaning of grade-appropriate words or phrases.
- Recall the meaning of frequently used nouns.
- Identify multiple meaning words up to two grade levels below the student’s grade level.
- Identify the context in which the unknown word is being used by looking at the text before and after it.
- List the possible meanings of an unknown word by using the context (words surrounding the unknown word).
- Use a dictionary to verify the meaning guessed by using the surrounding words.
Category: Access Points
Date Adopted or Revised: